The history of Real Estate Institutes in Australia dates back to 1923 when the Association of Real Estate Institutes of Australia was formed to promote the interests of the people working in the profession. The original Institute was based in Victoria.

In 1956 the name was changed to the Real Estate & Stock Institute of Australia. In the same year Institutes were established in all State / Territory capital cities, with the Northern Territory being part of the South Australia Institute.

The Real Estate & Stock Institute's name was changed in 1975 to the Real Estate Institute of Australia, and moved its headquarters to Canberra, where it is located today. The first President of the newly named REIA was Frank Sheehan.

In the early years the REINT office was located in what is now Jape Plaza, and staffed initially on a voluntary basis then on a part time paid basis. The REINT operated from the TCA (Territory Construction Association) then known as Master Builders Association building on the Stuart Highway, Parap, from 1984 till 1996.

Jude Pickering was appointed as the first full time Executive Officer of the Institute and headed the Institute for 16 years before stepping down in 2001. In 1996 REINT relocated with the assistance of the Agents Licensing Board to its present location, Real Estate House 3/6 Lindsay Street, Darwin.

Scroll Up